They are increasingly common devices in homes in certain areas of Spain. Basically, a water filter is a device that removes impurities from the water through a pollution reduction process, be it chemical or biological. Water filters remove contaminants such as chlorine, organic solvents, pesticides, or other harmful particles. There are water filters of many types : for domestic tap, for household, industrial, for irrigation water, for drinking water, for well water, for drip irrigation, for aquariums, for swimming pools, for water jugs, etc. Among the best options on the market , the Tapp Water filter , especially for sustainable taps and that is capable of removing 99 percent of chlorine . The Geyser Euro domestic water filter , especially for homes and that has a switch to activate the mode with and without purification.
Best Drinking Water Filter For Well Water
Brita filtered water jug
This Brita brand water filter offers excellent performance: it reduces substances that alter the taste and odor of water such as chlorine and lime to enjoy a glass of fresh water at any time. In addition, it includes 3 MAXTRA + filters so you can prepare tea and coffee with a full aroma. This filtered water carafe is convenient and simple: the lid of the carafe is easily folded down for quick refilling and, with the exception of the lid, the carafe is dishwasher safe.
Inmaculada assures that she has bought it “to give away. But I have had it in transparent for 10 years and what to say about the Brita jug. Convenience by not having to carry bottles or carafes of mineral water to avoid drinking chlorine-flavored water I buy parts from Amazon, lots of 6 or 12, and I forget for months.
How to Choose a Water Filter and What to Consider Before Buying One?
Choosing a water filter if you are not initiated in this type of equipment can be complicated. You must take into account several guidelines when buying it if you do not want to make a mistake and waste money.
Before buying a water filter, look at these factors:
- Water capacity that can be filtered: each item has certain limitations, so you should get the one that best suits your needs. If you buy a jug with a filter, see how many liters it holds.
- Functions : see what utilities it has, if it is to put directly on the tap, if it goes under the sink, if it is for a refrigerator, etc.
- Quality : as in any other product, there are more or less quality and that, obviously, influences the price. Not all water filters are the same.
- Filtering process: read carefully how many contaminants it is capable of filtering from the water. The most important are sediment, chlorine and odors, lead and chemicals.
- Also take into account other aspects such as savings, the technology you use and the brand .
What Is a Water Filter?
A water filter is a device that is usually next to the tap and whose purpose is to clean and eliminate the impurities that the water carries . It mainly serves to reduce pollution through different mechanisms such as a chemical process or a biological process. By installing this device in our drinking water tap we will get better tasting and much healthier water.
What Is a Water Filter For?
A water filter serves to filter the polluting components that water may contain, such as active chlorine particles, organochlorine and organic compounds, iron, excess calcium and magnesium salts , cations and anions of heavy metals, viruses and dangerous bacteria.
How Should It Be Used?
If you are not a “handyman”, it is better that you help yourself from an expert or a plumber when installing a water filter . Although the installation itself is not difficult, we run the risk that it will not fulfill its function if it is not installed correctly, so you have to follow the steps carefully.
The use of a water filter is simple: you just have to pretend not to be. That is, once it is properly installed, it does not imply doing anything different in your daily water consumption. Just pay attention to the maintenance recommended by the manufacturer.
Types Of Water Filters
There are a wide variety of water filters on the market, depending on their type of filtration:
- Reverse Osmosis: It is the process of removing dissolved inorganic solids (such as magnesium and calcium ions) from the water, forcing it through a semi-permeable membrane under pressure, so that the water passes and most of the contaminants are left behind.
- Ion Exchange Filters: is a process used to soften hard water by exchanging magnesium and calcium ions found in hard water with other ions such as sodium or hydrogen.
- Filtration By Sequestration: it is possible to clean the water by chemically isolating a substance. Food grade polyphosphate is commonly used in scale inhibitor filters, to sequester minerals such as calcium and magnesium, which cause limescale and corrosion.
- Mechanical Water Filter: it is the most basic of all. Sediments are physically removed using a physical barrier.
How Safe Are Water Filters?
Water filters are safe and effective: they clean the drinking water in your home with a high level of effectiveness. In certain areas of Spain it is more than necessary to install one of these devices due to the quality of the water, if we want to drink tap water.
What Benefits Do They Have?
Water filters have numerous benefits:
- They purify the water.
- They give a better flavor by removing chlorine.
- They remove odors by removing components such as chlorine or lead.
- They eliminate the bacteria that the water can carry.
- You will save money because having a water filter at home will not be necessary to buy bottled water. The initial investment of purchasing a filter quickly pays for itself.
What kind Of Maintenance Do They Require?
Water filters do not require maintenance tasks practically , although it is true that they do require some task. Fundamentally, the status of the filter must be checked from time to time because it must be changed, depending on the type, once a month, a year, etc. Everything will depend on the filter you buy.
In addition to the condition of the filters, you also have to look at how the installation is . A visual inspection is enough to check that no water is dripping and that the connections are correct. Otherwise, it must be fixed, either by yourself or by calling a plumber to check the installation.
Can I make a homemade water filter? How?
You can make a homemade water filter , but it is not recommended to do it for everyday use. Even so, it is easy to do:
- A deep glass or plastic container is placed on a flat surface.
- Next, place the homemade water filter with the original opening (or mouth) facing down and the lid on.
- On top of the bottle, previously cut, place the strainer.
- Start pouring the water. This will be filtered through the strainer.
- It’s done now – it’s easy and cheap, but it won’t filter out all impurities like an industrial filter would.
Why Is It Important To Have One at Home?
Having a water filter at home provides many advantages for your health (you drink clean and purified water, without contaminants) and your pocket (a less expense because in many homes where there are no filters they buy bottled water and that expense at the end of the year is considerable ).
What Are The Differences Between Water Purifiers And Filters?
They both have a common function which is to improve drinking water. Purifying water means cleaning the water of imperfections and filtering is clarifying the elements in suspension. Either of the two are recommended to have at home.
Which Are The Best On The Market?
Among the best-selling and most reliable models on the market, those of the Brita, Geyser, Tapp Water brands or even the Amazon Basics model stand out . They are devices with the best relationship between quality and price and will guarantee you high quality, purified water without having to buy bottled water.
With all these guidelines, you already know everything you have to take into account when buying a water filter . Even so, when in doubt, it is best to check the opinions of other users who have already bought these devices or to talk to an expert.