With so many drinks filled with empty calories on supermarket shelves, it can be hard to find the best drink for cold and sore throat that also comes with vitamins and minerals. Thankfully, there is a wide range of low-calorie, vitamin-filled beverages being sold in supermarkets today. If you’re looking for beverages that are high in vitamins but low in calories, then have a look at our selection here.
Top 10 Best drink for cold and sore throat: Editor’s Choice
1. Nature’s Way Umcka ColdCare Day + Night Hot Drink Mixes, Fever, Sore Throat, Cough, and Congestion Relief, Lemon & Honey Flavors, 12 Packets
- Umcka ColdCare Day + Night, Hot Drink has two formulas in one box; both feature clinically proven Pelargonium sidoides 1X.
- Umcka reduces severity of symptoms associated with common colds and throat / nasal / bronchial irritations: congestion, cough, hoarseness, sore throat.*
- Non-drowsy formula for daytime relief plus soothing formula for nighttime rest.
- Lemon-Citrus plus Honey-Lemon flavors
- Homeopathic, soothing hot drink mixes.
Additional Info :
2. Vicks FluTherapy, Day Severe Cold & Flu Relief, Hot Drink for Daytime Relief, Soothing Vapors Help Relieve Nasal Congestion, Sore Throat, Aches, & Cough, Honey Lemon Flavor, 6 Packets
- SEVERE, NON-DROWSY, COLD AND FLU RELIEF. Relieves Nasal Congestion, Sore Throat, Body Aches, Fever and Cough due to cold and flu
- SOOTHING VICKS VAPORS. A hint of menthol plus comforting relief
- FEVER RELIEF. Temporarily reduces fever associated with cold and flu symptoms
- THE POWER OF VICKS. FluTherapy gives you the same powerful, soothing experience you know from Vicks
- ALSO TRY FLUTHERAPY NIGHTTIME FORMULA. Available in a 6 Count
Additional Info :
3. Amazon Basic Care Grape Electrolyte Solution, Replaces Electrolytes, Fluid & Zinc, Kids & Adults, 33.8 Fluid Ounces
- ELECTROLYTES: Feel your best. Amazon Basic Care Grape Electrolyte Solution is an electrolyte drink designed to help restore electrolytes and fluids. A full-flavored hydration option for adults and children. Compare to Pedialyte
- HYDRATION: The fast, effective rehydration of Amazon Basic Care Electrolyte Solution helps replenish electrolytes quickly. This electrolyte drink helps restore fluids, electrolytes and zinc more effectively than sports drinks, sodas, juices and water
- TRUST & VALUE: Pediatricians & Pharmacists recommend using electrolyte solutions to quickly replenish fluids, zinc and electrolytes to help prevent dehydration. Compare to the national brand & save.
- GRAPE is just one of our delightful flavors of electrolyte drinks. Best when served chilled. Helps to prevent mild to moderate dehydration and to quickly restore fluids, zinc and electrolytes.
- COMMON CAUSES: Vomiting & diarrhea, intense exercise, heat exhaustion and travel can deplete fluid & electrolyte levels. Amazon Basic Care Electrolyte Solution can help prevent and restore electrolyte balance & for fast, effective rehydration.
Additional Info :
4. Amazon Basic Care Severe Cold & Flu Relief, Green Tea & Honey Lemon Flavors; Relieves Cough, Sore Throat Pain, Body Ache, Headache and Fever, 6 Count
- ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: This product contains acetaminophen (pain reliever/fever reducer), dextromethorphan HBr (cough suppressant) and phenylephrine HCl (nasal decongestant) which compare to the active ingredients in Theraflu Multi-Symptom Severe Cold.
- HOT LIQUID COLD AND FLU RELIEF: Each packet dissolves in hot water and provides daytime cold and flu relief from common symptoms such as nasal and sinus congestion, sore throat pain, cough, headache, body ache and fever.
- NON-DROWSY: When used as directed, this hot liquid cold and flu relief is a non-drowsy solution for cold symptoms such as nasal and sinus congestion, sore throat pain, cough, headache, body ache and fever.
- FLAVORED COLD AND FLU HOT LIQUID: This hot liquid cold and flu relief has green tea and honey lemon flavors.
- JUST ADD WATER: Add Severe Cold & Flu Relief powder to hot water for cold and flu hot liquid therapy that provides fast relief of nasal and sinus congestion, sore throat, headache, body aches, fever and cough.
Additional Info :
5. Boiron Throatcalm Tablets for Sore Throat Relief, 60 Count
- Throatcalm is a medicine cabinet must-have for every teacher singer or coach. It is recommended for everyone ages 12 & up and is available in a box of 60 quick-dissolving tablets. The quick dissolving tablets ensure there is no additional pain to swallow.
- Throatcalm Sore Throat Tablets temporarily relieve minor red, dry, and sore throat and hoarseness. Throatcalm does not cause drowsiness and it has no known interactions with other medications. Throatcalm is not contraindicated with pre-existing conditions.
- Adults and children 12 years and older: At the onset of symptoms, dissolve 2 tablets under the tongue every 15 minutes for 1 hour. Then, dissolve 2 tablets under the tongue 3 times a day until symptoms are relieved. For children under 12: consult a doctor.
- Our mission is to stimulate the evolution of health care by promoting homeopathy as a compassionate, ecological and comprehensive approach to medicine. At Boiron, we believe there’s more than one way to feel better. Our promise is your satisfaction.
- Active ingredients: arnica montana 3C HPUS, arum triphyllum 3C HPUS, Belladonna 3C HPUS, Bromium 3C HPUS, Bryonia 3C HPUS, Mercurius solubilis 4C HPUS, Phytolacca decandra 3C HPUS, Pulsatilla 3C HPUS, Spongia tosta 3C HPUS. Contains Lactose
Additional Info :
6. Theraflu Multi-Symptom Severe Cold and Theraflu Nighttime Severe Cold and Cough Hot Liquid Powder Combo Pack 12 count Box
- Includes our most popular daytime and nighttime hot liquids formulas – Theraflu Multi-Symptom Severe Cold and Theraflu Nighttime Severe Cold and Cough Hot Liquid Powder Combo Pack to treat your symptoms during day and night
- The hot liquid provides a soothing effect. Perfect for day or night
- For adults and children 12 years of age and over. Tackles your worst cold, flu and cough symptoms
- Theraflu Multi-Symptom Severe Cold comes in refreshing green tea and honey lemon flavors
- Theraflu Nighttime Severe Cold and Cough comes in soothing honey lemon, chamomile, and white tea flavors
- Both can be taken every 4 hours, while symptoms persist. Do not take more than 5 packets in 24 hours unless directed by a doctor
- Theraflu Multi-Symptom Severe Cold formula contains Acetaminophen 500 mg, Dextromethorphan HBr 20 mg, and Phenylephrine HCI 10 mg
- Theraflu Nighttime Severe Cold and Cough formula contains Acetaminophen 650 mg, Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg, and Phenylephrine HCI 10 mg
- HSA and FSA eligible product
Additional Info :
7. Alka-Seltzer Plus Severe, Cold, PowerFast Fizz, Zest Effervescent Tablets, for Adult with Headache, Sore Throat, Sinus Congestion, Runny Nose, Sneezing, Fever, Body Aches & Pains, Orange, 20 Count
- Our fantastic formula made even better: improved flavor, less sodium, & aspartame free
- Our severe Cold orange zest formula provides unbeatably liquid fast relief of headache, sore throat, nasal & sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, fever and aches & pains
- Quickly dissolves in water and instantly ready to start working so you can get back to your busy life.
- Each box containing 10 Sachets each containing 1 individually wrapped dose (2 effervescent tablets), which makes it easy to take with you on the go
- Comes in Effervescent form, with a refreshing orange zest flavor. Use as directed.
Additional Info :
8. Nature’s Way Umcka FastActives Cold + Flu Relief Multi-Action, 10 Powder Packets, Berry Flavor
- Umcka Cold+Flu Berry FastActives combine Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) 1X and Alpha CF into one great-tasting, non-drowsy, multi-action cold and flu formula. (1 box of 10 packets each)
- Shortens duration and reduces severity of symptoms associated with the common cold and throat/nasal/bronchial irritations, and temporarily relieves flu symptoms.
- Cold and flu relief, multi-action formula minor aches/pains, congestion, cough, fever, runny nose, sore throat. These indications are based solely on traditional homeopathic use. They have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration.
- Rapidly melts in mouth – Suitable for children – Non-Drowsy.
- Berry flavored powder packets.
Additional Info :
9. DIY Cure for the Cold Remedy
Additional Info :
10. Nature’s Way Umcka ColdCare Soothing Hot Drink Mix, Feel Better Faster, Clinically Proven, Lemon Flavored, 10 Packets
- Umcka ColdCare Soothing Hot Drink (Lemon) is proven effective in clinical studies for alleviating common colds plus nasal, throat and bronchial irritaions.
- Umcka shortens duration and reduces severity of symptoms associated with common colds and throat / nasal / bronchial irritations: congestion, cough, headache, hoarseness, sore throat These indications are based solely on traditional homeopathic use. They have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration.
- Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) 1X – the main ingredient in Umcka ColdCare – works with the immune system to help support the body’s own natural defense mechanisms. That means you’re getting a medicine that works safely with your body – not against it.
- Umcka goes beyond symptom relief and actually helps you recover faster – which means you can get back to life faster, too.
- Homeopathic, soothing hot drink mixes.
Additional Info :
Why is drinking water preferable to fruit juice?
Everyone has heard that fruits are good for our bodies and that we should eat them often. Fruit juice, on the other hand, is preferred by some people over fruit. In fact, many people believe in downing glasses without thinking because of its sweet flavor and frequently mentioned health benefits. In truth, they are hurting their bodies rather than benefiting them. Fruit juice contains a lot of calories in the form of sugar, which is quite a lot for our bodies. We are all aware that eating too many calories contributes to weight growth. If you drink one glass of juice each day, you shouldn’t consider drinking another glass that day. One is more than sufficient!
Learn why water is preferable to fruit drinks.
Water is always preferable, and is actually the finest beverage to consume overall. Fruit juices can’t compare to the goodness of pure and clean water, even though they are healthier than other drink for cold and sore throats like carbonated beverages, diet sodas, flavored water, energy drinks, and so on. A balanced diet that includes plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as the right amounts of lipids, carbohydrates, minerals, proteins, and vitamins, is always preferable to bingeing on fruit juices. For the normal operation of our body’s systems, 8 to 10 glasses of water should be consumed daily in addition to a balanced diet. According to health studies conducted in several nations, water is the only beverage that hydrates our bodies in the greatest way, making it very necessary for living.
Water has no calories.
You can drink water without being concerned about gaining weight because it contains no calories. Fruit juice, on the other hand, is high in calories. Fresh fruit juices are preferable to bottled fruit juices, which are typically loaded with sugar. It is not advised to consume more than one glass of fruit juice every day, even if it is fresh.
Body hydration is good with water.
The best approach to hydrate our bodies is with water. Nothing can compare to the hydration that water provides, regardless of the other liquids you may have. Fruit juices cannot be consumed continuously throughout the day, while water can. Additionally, it’s crucial to maintain a healthy level of fluids in your body in order to avoid dehydration.
Toxins are removed by water.
Water is still superior since you can drink it whenever you want, despite the fact that the juice of some fruits is thought to help flush out toxins. The nice aspect is that your body requires it to function properly. Fruit juices can be avoided for months, but you cannot deprive your body of water for even a short period of time. Water is a powerful cleaner that can remove the body’s buildup of pollutants.
The true quencher of thirst is water.
Water is the only true thirst-quencher, regardless of what the labels of various drinks claim. All living things need this drink for cold and sore throat because it is the most natural. You can hydrate yourself with any beverage, but only water will quench your thirst. Other beverages can be lived without, but water is necessary for survival.
Accessible and reasonably priced water
Almost all of us have access to water. Compared to other drink for cold and sore throat, water is more affordable. Every juice and other beverage sold in the market has a significant price. Water is the most reasonably priced of all, if you look closer. As a result, you don’t have to worry about the cost.
Water doesn’t need to be prepared.
You must set aside time to prepare the desired combination if you wish to drink fresh fruit juice. You must invest time and effort into it. But if you decide to drink water, all you have to do is turn on your water purifier’s tap and take a sip of the world’s best beverage. For someone, it might be the simplest task ever.
To Sum Up
Fruit juices are beneficial in that they give your body some of the nutrients it needs. However, doctors advise against consuming more than one glass of fruit juice every day. Otherwise, it might cause you to gain weight and mess with your body’s nutrient balances. Water cannot be replaced by any other drink, which is healthier. Your body needs water to perform a variety of daily tasks; otherwise, it would perish. To maintain good health when consuming water, it’s crucial to drink only pure, clean water. With the technology of additional minerals, Havells provides the best selection of RO, UV, and alkaline water purifiers that will provide you with 100% pure water. Click to learn more about the range!
How to choose fruit juices and drinks
How to get the fruit juice that’s right for you among the confusing aisles of options.
Fruit juice, as we all know it to be, is the liquid extracted from the fruit. Simple. But it’s not quite so simple when we get it at the grocery store.
Fruit drink versus fruit juice?
Fruit juice is prohibited from being diluted with water and is only permitted to include 4% added sugar, under the Food Standards Code. Reconstituted juice is obtained by adding water to a concentrate (in the same amount as was removed). Salt, herbs, spices, flavors, colors, vitamins, and processing aids can also be added to fruit juice.
There is no restriction on the amount of added sugars, and fruit drinks just need to contain 5% fruit juice or pulp (for passionfruit, this percentage can be as low as 3.5%).
Isn’t pure juice usually preferable?
We can get “Liquid kiwifruit,” which is “strong in vitamin C,” from the Nekta brand. You may assume that this indicates the juice is 100 percent fruit, however as Kiwifruit is a pulpy, sour fruit, Nekta explains on their website. In order to make the pulp more drinkable, they first utilize the entire kiwifruit (without the peel and seeds), liquefy it, and then add sugar to sweeten it. It has a fruit content of 20% in the end.
A 100 percent cranberry juice won’t be available either; we’re informed that’s because it would be unpleasant to drink. In their “Real cranberry drink,” McCoy contains 18% cranberry juice, and Ocean Spray’s “Cranberry classic” contains 30% cranberry juice. Since many people find pure grapefruit juice to be overly harsh, McCoy and Ocean Spray both dilute the “Ruby red grapefruit” (both 30 percent fruit juice).
By boiling juice to eliminate the water, juice can be concentrated. Transport is more affordable as a result. Nutrients, particularly water-soluble vitamins like vitamin C, will be lost to some extent. To make up for those lost, flavors and vitamin C might be added. Juice prepared from concentrate should be more affordable than juice made from freshly squeezed fruit because it is of greater quality.
Most fruit juices are pasteurized. This fast, high-heat procedure eliminates any unwanted microorganisms and aids in stabilizing the juice shelf. Depending on the packaging, they may have a shelf life of 9 to 12 months. All of the juices and beverages on our table are shelf stable, although juices are also available in the refrigerator. These juices must be kept chilled even before opening because of their limited shelf life.
The majority of the sugars listed for the liquids will be natural since fruit and vegetables naturally contain sugar. The ingredients will list sugar if the amount of sugar added is up to 4% (4g per 100g).
Fruit drinks typically have added sugar, however, the amount varies greatly. The exception to this rule is Just Juice Splash, which contains only juice and mineral water in a 50/50 ratio.
You can see in our table that the energy (kilojoule) content of a cup of juice or fruit drink we purchased ranges from 100-765kJ. Fruit beverages generally provide a lot of energy (400–500kJ per cup), as do many fruit juices. At 765kJ per cup, the Sunsweet 100% prune juice is surprisingly high in energy.
While there is some added sugar, the major sweeteners in Ribena Light are low-energy sucralose and Ace-K, so each cup only has 100 kJ. (see The truth about artificial sweeteners for more information). This is in comparison to 650kJ for regular Ribena; the difference is in the sweeteners since regular Ribena contains 6.4 percent fruit juice as opposed to 5 percent in Ribena Light.
Both naturally occurring and artificially fortified vitamin C can be found in large quantities in many juices and fruit drinks. The recommended daily intake of vitamin C for women is between 190 and 220 milligrams (for men). The amount of vitamin C in a cup of the products we bought varied from 37 mg in Ocean Spray’s “Cranberry classic” to 117 mg in Charlie’s “Pressed apple and blackcurrant juice.”
A fruit drink with extra vitamins—in this case, vitamins A, C, and E—is Thexton’s “Red grapefruit drink.” However, a beverage like this one, which only has 5% juice, is not the best source of vitamins. The best way to obtain vitamins is through food, and a balanced diet should provide all of your requirements.
Healthy teeth and juice
The worst thing you can do is ‘bathe’ your teeth in juice and fruit drinks because they are high in sugar; this can damage teeth in the same way that repeatedly chewing on sweets would. Juice should always be consumed from a glass, for the same reason, by both adults and children. Juice is best drank with meals because it helps the body absorb iron from the food and protects teeth by washing away fruit sugar and acids with saliva produced during eating.
5+ a day
On the package of V8 vegetable juice, it is stated that one glass of juice is “equal to 3 servings of vegetables.” But be aware that juice lacks the fiber that fruit and vegetables offer and that while having more calories than fruit and vegetables, it doesn’t fill you up as they do.
You can count one glass of fruit juice as one of your recommended five to ten servings of fruits and vegetables each day, but no more. (Also, confirm that it’s juice and not a fruit drink!) Having said that, why not continue consuming a lot of (low-kilojoule, high-fiber) fruit and veg as well if you prefer drink for cold and sore throat?
There are three liquids that actually contribute to your daily fiber intake, though much less than eating the quantity of whole fruit and vegetables that go into them: Tomato juice provides 1.8g, V8 vegetable juice 1.3g, and prune juice 2.5g per cup.