It is well known that bottles, whether made of plastic or glass, tend to retain a bad smell when not washed properly. And how unpleasant it is to perceive that smell just at the moment we are going to take a sip! It doesn’t matter if you want to use the glass bottles as decorations or to contain your favorite drink, it is important that you learn how to clean old glass bottles. Here we will go over some frequently used tricks that produce excellent results, such as using a bottle cleaning brush.
Many people are used to reusing plastic or glass containers, turning them into permanent fixtures in their kitchen. Most do it to contain food or liquids, bring water or some other diet or energy drink to work or school. In the case of glass bottles, they are often used as decorative objects on bars and kitchen cabinets.
How To Clean Old Glass Bottles
And you, what do you want to use that bottle for again? Especially if you plan to use it to contain drinks or food, it is essential that you wash it correctly. These containers have a very small opening for starters, so it’s easy for the stench to get trapped inside.
For the same reason, it is also difficult to have full access to the inside of the glass bottle, making the cleaning process even more difficult. Food debris, stains, or contaminating particles insist on staying, holding on tight. The bad smell will not take long to appear and, if you do not eradicate it outright, the container could end up in the garbage container.
So how do you clean a glass bottle inside? There are different hygienic methods that you can implement to leave the container as new. They are not difficult to apply, and will undoubtedly save you the expense of having to buy a new bottle. Let’s take a brief look at some tricks that you will love.
Using a Bottle Cleaning Brush
First of all, it is necessary to remove all traces of dirt from inside the container. Work that is not easy, really, because of the narrow neck in most bottle designs. But there is not anything to worry about! We have the perfect tool: a brush or bottle cleaning brush.
- Bottle cleaning brushes are exclusively designed to remove dirt from the inside of narrow neck bottles.
- They are generally made of plastic or metal, although there are also those with a wooden handle.
- Its bristles, plastic or silicone, easily enter through the mouth of the bottle, and reach every corner of its interior.
You just have to use a mixture of water with dish soap, pour a little into the bottle and proceed to stir with the brush. You will see that, in no time, all the stuck dirt will end up swimming in the water. Finally, rinse the entire bottle well several times, and it will be sparkling.
What uses rice? Yes, rice can be very useful if you do not have a bottle cleaning brush. The grains of rice can remove much of the dirt stuck to the inside of the container, quickly and naturally. To start, you only need to fill the bottle with rice a quarter of its capacity.
- Then add warm water, filling the bottle almost to the top, also adding a couple of drops of dish soap.
- Place the palms of your hands, one covering the mouth of the bottle and the other holding its base.
- And then, shake hard! Do this for about 15 to 20 seconds, long enough to remove all the dirt.
The rice grains, together with the hot water, will remove any contaminant particles present inside the container. Then empty the bottle, discard the rice, and rinse the container with plenty of water.
With Baking Soda
Finally, another idea for removing dirt from the inside of a bottle includes the must-have baking soda. This effervescent powder has wonderful properties as a disinfectant, stain remover, and bleach. And of course, it is perfect for making delicious pastry recipes.
Well, very simple: just fill the container with warm water, and add a couple of tablespoons of bicarbonate. Close the container and let it sit for a couple of hours at the most. Finally, you will only have to wash the bottle as you usually do.
This method is especially useful when the container is stained or has retained bad odors. The baking soda will work miracles inside, leaving the container very clean, sparkling, and ready to use.
With Cleaning Beads
Cleaning beads or cleaning beads are used to clean the inside of bottles, carafes, vases, or any other container. Although it is not a very common method, its use is highly effective, especially when it comes to containers that cannot be easily accessed inside.
They are made of stainless steel, obviously and it is a good method to clean those corners that are so difficult to clean with other utensils.
The cleaning beads are very easy to use, below we summarize their use in the following image.
To make sure we buy the right product, it is important to check the product warranty, which in this case is usually at least several years. If the cleaning beads do not have a guarantee of more than 1 or 2 years, we do not recommend their use.
How To Remove The Smell From a Bottle?
So far we have talked about removing stains and food remains adhered to the inside of a bottle. These methods are very effective, and they also manage to neutralize some unpleasant aromas. However, there are smells that pose a greater challenge, taking over the container in such a way that it fails to pass the test of your nose.
What to do in those cases? How to remove the smell from a bottle? Let’s go over three effective tips, which you can implement together, to guarantee the result. The method includes a few drops of bleach, boiling water, and some fresh air.
- If you want to get the bad smell out of a metal or glass bottle , just immerse it in, or fill it with, boiling water. And if you add a few drops of bleach to the water, the effect will be even more powerful, removing stains and whitening surfaces.
- The plastic bottles may not withstand the temperature of 100, and end deforming and breaking. Therefore, it is best to use warm water or room temperature, along with a few drops of bleach.
- After washing the bottle with this method, it is convenient to leave it in the open air for a long time, by the window perhaps. The clean air of nature contains negative ions, which enhance the aroma of any room or container.
Tips When Cleaning a Bottle
- Have everything you plan to use to make your bottle as good as new on hand: plenty of water, bleach, dish soap, baking soda.
- If you are using hot water, be very careful not to burn yourself or deform the plastic bottles.
- Do not forget to clean the cap of the bottle, for which you can use a new toothbrush, and immerse it in boiling water with a few drops of bleach.
- After washing the container, remember to rinse it well with plenty of water to remove any remaining detergent or bleach.
- Finally, dry the bottle well, and leave it upside down so that the water drains completely.
How To Remove Tartar From a Bottle?
Finally, let’s talk about how to clean the inside of a bottle to remove all the adhering tartar. With the passage of time and frequent use, bottles, pans and other containers in the kitchen end up retaining a layer of tartar, a grayish-white color that is not pleasant. It happens more often in areas with hard water problems, where high concentrations of lime damage pipes, drains, and appliances.
How to remove scale from a bottle, plastic, or glass? It is not very difficult, and you have the antidote to tartar at home, in all probability. Which? The multifaceted and powerful vinegar, an essential ingredient in the preparation of meals, salads, and pickles.
Using White Vinegar To Remove Scale From a Bottle
With white vinegar, you can do wonders in the kitchen, not only for preparing meals but also for sanitizing surfaces and food. Vinegar eliminates bad odors, keeps insects away, and removes grease like nobody else. And since it is made up of acetic acid, it is perfect for removing lime build-up, such as scale.
- Fill the bottle with warm water, and add a splash of white vinegar.
- If you want to neutralize the vinegar smell a bit, you can add a few drops of lemon to the mixture.
- Close the container and let it sit for a couple of hours at the most.
- Once the time has elapsed, remove the cap from the container and, with a bottle cleaning brush, go over the entire internal area.
- Finally, pour the mixture into the sink and rinse the bottle with plenty of water and a little dishwasher.
Reuse Bottles: A Good Idea
Reusing glass bottles is a good idea, especially in terms of protecting and conserving the environment. Also, reduce the purchase of glass containers, undoubtedly saving you a couple of coins.
Of course, do not forget to wash them well, to eliminate all bacteria and neutralize unpleasant aromas. Whether it’s to hold drinks or food or to be used as an ornament, glass bottles look best clean.