The threat of invasive animal species is constant in many parts of the world. In recent times, the appearance of the Asian hornet, or also nicknamed by many as “giant wasp”, “killer wasp” or simply velutinous, it has been a headache for everyone. Their appearance has negatively affected some indigenous species and they also pose a risk due to their bite.
Therefore, the need to remedy the bites of Asian wasps has stimulated the imagination of experts in the field to create traps that end their presence in this area. With a simple bottle, you can catch them and prevent them from biting you. If you do not know how to make a trap for the Asian wasp with a bottle, we recommend that you continue reading this article.
Material to Make a Trap for The Asian Wasp With a Bottle
The Asian wasp, also known as Vespa velutina, is an invasive species that affect indigenous wasps and even more so in bee hives. In addition, its stings are as dangerous as those of the common wasp or even more, because due to its larger size it contains more venom. This has a negative impact on the reaction that is generated, making it a more painful sting and the inflammatory reaction spreads more. As with the more common species of wasps and not as large as this one, there are those who suffer their sting and their body reacts in an expected way, which may require some prescription medication or not, while the body of other people reacts with an allergy. intense and need immediate medical help.
Preparing a trap to catch them and avoid their bites, as well as affecting more native species in your area, is possible if you have the following materials to make a trap against Asian wasps :
- Plastic bottle of soda or water. It is best if the sides are ridged or scored and the bottom section somewhat wider than the middle of the bottle.
- Sharp knife or scissors.
- Other prepared baits.
How to Make Homemade WASP Bait
Some products can work as bait for these wasps, as they are attractive liquids for the killer wasp. These insects need more energy when they finish hibernating, so they go for sweet foods. Taking into account your preferences for sugar, you have to make baits of this type so that the Asian wasps fall into the trap. There are many alternatives:
- Mix half a liter of blueberry juice and a quarter of a liter of a mixture of dark beer and white wine. Vermouth can also be used to make a trap for velutina, so you can choose to mix the cranberry juice with vermouth. In addition, you can add a tablespoon of sugar to make it more attractive or add some fruit syrup.
- It may also be sufficient to combine dark beer or vermouth with white wine and sugar.
- Mix honey with hot water.
- Macerate wax with water and honey.
- In peak seasons for this species, Asian worker and predatory wasps will be on the lookout for protein foods. Therefore, it will be interesting that you add raw fish or meat remains to any of the previous mixtures to generate an even more intense attraction power.
Steps to Make a Killer WASP Trap With a Bottle
If you are concerned about the threat of this invasive species but do not know how to build traps for Asian wasps, at OneHOWTO we help you make them. Follow this step by step to get it:
- Cut off the top of the empty bottle.
- Remove the cap.
- Turn this already cut part of the bottle over and put it upside down inside the other part, so that it acts as a funnel.
- Put a mixture of salt, sugar and vinegar in the bottom of the bottle.
If you plan to create a beer bait trap, follow these same steps as outlined here:
- Prepare the funnel as we have explained before.
- Add a mixture of cranberry juice, white wine and dark beer to the inside of the wasp trap. This combination will attract the Asian wasp, which will be in need of sugar for energy and being trapped by the sticky liquid.
How to Set An Asian WASP Trap With a Bottle
Building a good trap for Asian hornets will not be enough to prevent their stings if you do not set it correctly. The ideal area to put them is in plants of Asian origin, such as azaleas or camellias. If you do not have these types of plants, you can place the trap in any other, because in the end, it has to move around the area in search of food.
It will also be effective in hives, around and inside already affected apiaries, and in trees. In addition, you must place it at the average height of a person and face the sun, since the heat enhances the aroma of the mixture with which you will have made the bait.
If you want more related and useful information, we recommend you read these other articles on How to scare away wasps and How to trap wasps.
Best Time To Set The Asian Hornet Trap
After discovering how to make an Asian hornet trap using a plastic bottle and bait, it is important that you know the ideal time to set it. Although this stage varies depending on the region in which you are (the local climate is decisive), the capture is more favorable when they finish hibernation. That is, between February and March.
However, you will not be able to relax the rest of the year: these adult stage wasps fly during the beekeeping season, so their capture will remain important until the fall. It is interesting to place traps during the spring in the hives and the closest environment, but also in the rest of the season for prevention.
In autumn, when Asian wasps hibernate, we recommend that you place the traps in the areas close to hibernation because these are the places where something will move during this stage and just when it ends. These areas are the ones that accumulate stones, wood, and tiles.
Now that you know a lot more about the Asian wasp trap with a bottle, you might want to read these other posts about How to avoid bee and wasp stings and What to do if I get stung by a wasp.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to make a trap for the Asian wasp with a bottle, we recommend that you enter our category of Maintenance and safety at home.